What are the benefits?Oil pulling works by detoxifying, or cleaning, the oral cavities in your mouth. It draws out the toxins and creates a clean, antiseptic oral environment. This incredibly effective procedure has been used for centuries to remedy many ailments including:
- Curing tooth decay
- Killing bad breath
- Healing bleeding gums
- Reducing inflammation
- Preventing cavities
- Healing cracked lips
- Boosting our immune system
- Strengthening gums and jaw
Which oil can you use?The traditional Ayurvedic method is to use sesame oil and this is predominantly used in India as it is already a staple ingredient. However, as it has been picked up more in western culture many people will gravitate towards using coconut oil. Not only does it work very well and it tastes great, coconut oil has been shown to balance hormones, improve energy, balance blood sugar and moisturise the skin. As coconut oil is highly absorbent, you could experience these benefits just by oil pulling too. Your other alternative is sunflower oil, along with sesame, but these do not have the same anti-microbial benefits as coconut due to its lauric acid content.
How do you oil pull?The technique is very simple, but it may take some practice to build up to the recommended 20 minutes a day. The longer you learn to pull the more bacteria you will remove, however please note this is not to replace a normal dental routine!
- Make sure you oil pull first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, before brushing your teeth.
- Use either 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or one sachet of CocoBaci(flavour of your choice) into your mouth and gently swish between your teeth and around your mouth for 10-20 minutes making sure you don't swallow any of the oil. (If you're trying for the first time, try 5 minutes to start with or you may find your jaw starts to ache).
- Spit out the oil into the bin - do not spit down the sink as the oil can block the pipes!
- Immediately rinse your mouth out with warm water after spitting.
- Finish by brushing your teeth as normal!